Friday 10 August 2012

IOS Sound Conversion - Sound Effects - Audacity - afconvert


I'm currently in the process of creating some sound effects for my latest game.

I have been chopping them up in Audacity and saving them as wav files.

Being a little lazy I want a simple way of converting them into a format that runs well on the IOS devices.

So after saving my sound effects as .wav files.
I open up a terminal and change to the directory where your sound effects are located.

Then run the following command

afconvert -c 1 -b 32768 -d LEI16@11025 -f 'caff' TruckStart.wav TruckStart.caf

This will cut a 330KB wav file down to around 45KB.

-b is the bitrate

-d is the the little-endian integer 16-bit variant of linear PCM sound setting

the @11025 is the frequency range.

-c 1 converts the sound effect to single channel (mono)

And its converted to the caf format recommend by Apple.

Hope that is of some help.

Duncan.

No comments:

Post a Comment